The Marystown Marlins Swim Team recently concluded a successful summer season.
The team, consisting of 62 junior and senior swimmers, participated in two invitational meets and hosted their own meet here at the Marystown YMCA.
The highlight of the summer for swimmers was the Gander Provincial Swim Meet in August. The Marlins earned a fourth place finish overall as well as Most Improved Team amongst the summer clubs.
Gander Provincial highlights:
• Grace Bradbury – under 8 female 25m freestyle – silver medal
• Annie McCarthy-Andrew – 9-10 female 50m breaststroke – silver medal
• Damien Doucet – 11-12 male 50m backstroke – silver medal
• Kyle Kelly Murphy – 13-14 male 50m butterfly – gold medal
13 – 14 male 100m IM – silver medal
13-14 male 50m breaststroke – gold medal
• Daniel Warren – 13-14 male 50m freestyle - gold medal
13-14 male 50 m backstroke – gold medal
13-14 male 100m IM – bronze medal
• Aedan Pitcher – 13-14 male 50m freestyle – silver medal
13-14 male 50m backstroke – silver medal
13-14 male 100m IM- gold medal
• Ben Rogers – 13-14 male 50m freestyle – bronze medal
13-14 male 50m butterfly – silver medal
• Karen Sharpe – 15-16 female 100m freestyle - gold medal
-15-16 female 50m butterfly – gold medal
- 15-16 female 100m IM- silver medal
• Emilee Farrell – 15-16 female – 100m backstroke – bronze medal
• Kevin Sharpe – 17-18 male 100m freestyle – bronze medal
Marystown Marlins also earned medals in relay events:
• Female 10 and under 200m Medley Relay- silver medal – Abby McCarville, Makenna Farrell, Annie McCarthy-Andrew, Grace Bradbury.
• Female 15-16 200m Medley Relay- bronze medal – Sarah Jones, Hailey May, Karen Sharpe, Emilee Farrell.
• Female 15-16 200m Freestyle Relay – silver medal – Emilee Farrell, Hailey May, Sarah Jones, Karen Sharpe.
The Marlins also had two relay teams who broke summer club provincial records:
• Male 13-14 200m Medley Relay – gold medal – Kyle Kelly Murphy, Aedan Pitcher, Ben Rogers, Daniel Warren.
• Male 13-14 200m Freestyle Relay – gold medal- Kyle Kelly Murphy, Ben Rogers, Aedan Pitcher, Daniel Warren.
This marks the third time that this team of boys have broken a provincial summer club record.
The team also had two top achievers from the Gander Provincial Meet: Kyle Kelly Murphy (Male 13-14) and Karen Sharpe (Female 15-16).
Thanks to all the swimmers, coaches, parents and sponsors for a wonderful swim season.